Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Fools,

Two years or so ago I took advantage of a couple of those teaser offers where they give you some nice deposit if you open an account. That was nice; but back then, you got a fairly decent return on cash, so the incentives didn't make that big a difference. Interest rates on savings are half what they were then, so a sign up bonus seems like a much bigger deal.

Well, as I mentioned on the CC board, MBNA has kindly consented to loan me a small chunk of change ($23,500) for 4 months interest free (see: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=17545818). So, here I am up late at night wondering what I can do to make the most of it.

Searching the internet naturally took me to BankRate.com, where NetBank is promoting a $50 sign-up bonus for a $5,000 deposit held for only 30 days with a current APY of 2.75% -- same as ING Direct. It immediately struck me that I would be foolish to pass up such a deal, given my new-found cash. And given that I should get the $50 after only 30 days, I don't see how I could loose. But that still leaves $18,500 to occupy, so I continued my search.

BankRate didn't offer much else; but I remembered what jrr7 said earlier today (http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=17553069) about Ford Financial. I got to wondering what other major corporations might have finance divisions that offer good deals; but aren't really main-stream banks or brokers.

The first that occured to me was GM -- specifically, GMAC et. al -- mainly because jrr7 mentioned it too; but I hadn't looked at it. Their main site is advertising a $25 promo offer if you open an Ameritrade account; but I didn't find that too intersting since it can cost money to close a brokerage account. jrr7's mention of GMAC's Demand Notes and the Smart Notes programs are interesting; but not quite what I'm looking for.

Then I tried GE, which led me to GE Capital, then GEFN. Sure enough, GEFN is offering a $25 sign-up bonus, if you open an account with only $500. Plus the account earns a 2.00% yield. The account is structured like a money market account; but it invests in GE's own AAA-rated bonds. Ah ha! A rather tiddy little bonus and it only ties up $500. That leave $18K.

Any other suggestions? These large corporations that offer their debt directly to individual investors seem like a great idea -- at least for the investor, if not corporation. Is there a list of what companies make direct offerings?

BTW: I've also stumbled across Principal Bank (Principal Financial). They're offering a $50 sign-up bonus for a $100 deposit in their "free" checking. A 50% return! What a deal!

And yes, I know I'm probably wasting my time with this; but I think it's kind of fun ... and funny. And besides, it's my time to waste.

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.