No. of Recommendations: 1
I was comparing prices on my medicine and found that IF you join Sams Club as a PLus member and use no insurance Risperdal 4 60 day supply is $11.87 vs 30 day supply with insurance at $13.85. The cash price at Safeway is $129.99

Heres the generic list thats extra value

http://resources.samsclub.com/MediaICN/2013/HealthyLiving/SA...

If I ever lose my job I guess pay the $100 fee for being a plus member get the meds at Sams and keep looking for a job.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
If I ever lose my job I guess pay the $100 fee for being a plus member get the meds at Sams and keep looking for a job.

Both Sam's and Costco allow people to access their pharmacies without being members. In my experience, Costco often has cheaper prices on medicines than Sam's does.

I would suggest checking what the cost is at both Sam's and Costco is without being a member before you go paying a $100 fee for a membership that you may not need.

If you can get a 60 day supply for, say, $20.87 without being a member at either Costco or Sam's (no idea if this is possible, but you should call both and ask what the price is), that's only $9 more than it would cost at Sam's with the plus membership. It would take you 11 prescription fills (22 months) to make it worth buying 1 - $100 annual membership. Unfortunately, during that 22 months, you would have had to buy 2 - $100 memberships, so not being a member costs less money.

AJ
No. of Recommendations: 4
I was comparing prices on my medicine and found that IF you join Sams Club as a PLus member and use no insurance Risperdal 4 60 day supply is $11.87 vs 30 day supply with insurance at $13.85. The cash price at Safeway is $129.99

Heres the generic list thats extra value

http://resources.samsclub.com/MediaICN/2013/HealthyLiving/SA......

In fact, if you look at the PDF from the link you supplied, it says that you save 10% - 30% by buying the $100 plus membership.

If $11.87 is the price with the largest (30%) discount, that means that the price without the discount is $16.95 That's a $5.08 savings per prescription fill. In order to recoup the $100, it would take 20 prescription fills, or 40 months. Even if you normally have a Sam's membership at $40, and it only costs you $60 for the upgrade to the plus membership, it would take you 12 prescription fills, or 24 months to recoup the additional cost.

If it's only a 10% discount, the numbers get worse - $13.19 is the non-value price, which is only a $1.32 savings per prescription fill.

In either case, if the only reason you are buying the membership is to get the dscount on this one prescription, then it's not worth it to either buy a plus membership or even upgrade to a plus membership.

In fact, at $16.95 for a 2 month supply, compared to your cost with insurance at $13.85, you could be saving yourself $10.75 every two months by buying at Sam's without the membership and without insurance.

Again, I would suggest checking Costco's prices, too.

AJ
No. of Recommendations: 0
I was doing an observation what to do if my employer let me go id be paying $129.99 at safeway for 30 pills.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I was doing an observation what to do if my employer let me go id be paying $129.99 at safeway for 30 pills.

So, you're not interested in getting your medicines for a cheaper price now? Because it appears that a 2 month supply at Sam's without any insurance is cheaper than 2 - 1 month co-pays with your insurance at Safeway (or wherever you are buying it) now.

AJ
No. of Recommendations: 3
. . . it appears that a 2 month supply at Sam's without any insurance is cheaper than 2 - 1 month co-pays with your insurance at Safeway (or wherever you are buying it) now.

I am a Sam's Club member. I have one monthly generic prescription, which I fill at the Sam's Club Pharmacy. I would not have to be a member to do this.

My copay for generic prescriptions is $10 for one month, or $25 for a three month mail order supply. The Sam's Club price is $4 for one month. I pay $4, don't hassle my doctor for a 90 day prescription, and ignore the nastygrams my insurance sends me about mandatory mail order for maintenance drugs.

The pharmacy associate never scans my membership card. She just scans the card hanging from her neck, presumably because it's faster and easier than asking for a membership card that isn't needed anyway.

I did recently buy into a trial Plus membership, which I will cancel. The savings over a regular membership don't pan out for me, and I don't get any savings on the $4 prescription.

Patzer
No. of Recommendations: 2
Both Sam's and Costco allow people to access their pharmacies without being members. In my experience, Costco often has cheaper prices on medicines than Sam's does.

All cost savings analyses should include the cost of gasoline to drive to the store.

PSU
Gas in Surprise at Safeway is $3.06
So?