Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Interesting. I've never had one that offered me a $19.95 oil change. But of course, I'm only one person, in one area, and have probably only had experience with seven or eight dealers. Your experience certainly trumps mine.

To clarify, I don't mean specifically offering a $20 oil change, but a low price oil service at or below cost and a legitimate inspection is. I will concede that a $20 oil change is not that common any more on any late model car because almost all of them use synthetic and specifically 0w20 synthetic. The typical price for this oil change is about $70 at dealers and believe it or not more at most oil change chains we mystery shop. The loss leader price is about $50 and may or may not include a tire rotation. Most aftermarket shops do include a rotation while most dealers charge extra for that, but not the inspection

a $20 oil change on using 5w30 conventional is pretty easy to find, just not done that much on newer cars.

I don't think you are wrong or dispute your experience, but as you mention I have a broader perspective.
I have significant experience consulting with close to 100 dealers across 3 OEM brands and about 50 franchised service shops in 23 years in this business. Also 30 company owned stores that I ran as Director of Operations. As a consumer with brands not affiliated with me professionally I have significantly less experience...probably less than your seven or eight.
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.