Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2

email from old friend.
(apolgies if this has been posted many times)

One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more
horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 11/2 gallons of
nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the
same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

. A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to
drive the dragster supercharger.

. With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on
overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before
ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

. At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane
the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

. Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen
above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from
atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

. Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the
output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

. Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After
1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of
exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by
cutting the fuel flow.

. If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro
builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient
force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

. In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must
accelerate at an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph well
before half-track,

. the launch acceleration approaches 8G's .

. Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have
completed reading this sentence.

. Top Fuel Engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light
to light!

. Including the burnout the engine must only survive 900
revolutions under load.

. The red-line is actually quite high at 9500 rpm.

. The Bottom Line; Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the
crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an
estimated US $1,000.00 per second. The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed
time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter mile (10/05/03, Tony
Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 mph (533 km/h) as measured
over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03 Doug Kalitta).

Putting all of this into perspective:
You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter "twin-turbo" powered
Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and
ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the
advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the
gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an
honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.
The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down
hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums
and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you
to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him.
Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200
mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he
passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
And y'all wondered why I put a sport muffler on the Honda. : Þ
Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine...

All of the numbers are pretty close. Every motorhead MUST experience a Top Fuel show in person at least once. You will never forget it.

Neil
And y'all wondered why I put a sport muffler on the Honda. : Þ

~~~~~~~~~

So, now it sounds like a noisy sewing machine? :|

No. of Recommendations: 1
So, now it sounds like a noisy sewing machine? :|

Not to throw this thread off on a tangent, but I've never understood what the fascination was on putting these big mufflers on these little cars. If indeed they DO make those little things go faster, fine. But they sound silly on full acceleration.

A few years ago, while they still ran the Havoline200 up at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, they would have a few other events, like an SCCA race with mildly modified vehicles. (I'm not familiar their classes and how they race but...) One race where there were nothing but subcompacts running, I was in the grandstands, and all you could hear was what sounded like a swarm of hornets.

Sorry for the intrusion. I'm just an old fart, who yearns for the sound of a 1971 Dodge Charger with a 440 V8 and Thrushes.

Duck
RE: Duck: "a 1971 Dodge Charger with a 440 V8 and Thrushes."

Better yet, get a 70 or older, (high compression), and Walker Continentals, which said right in the parts list for this engine, "not for street use". (which, or course, I ignored)

SB (had many many mopar hi-perf 382-440's)
SB (had many many mopar hi-perf 382-440's)

Thin sleeves and undersized ( slightly ) pistons????
So, now it sounds like a noisy sewing machine?
===*===

Hey, there's only so much you can do with four cylinders, it'll never sound like Steve McQueens mustang in Bullitt but as long as it amuses me and you that's enough. : Þ
But they sound silly on full acceleration.
===*===

Maybe that's the point. Same as a lot of stuff, breast implants, toupes, corsets etc etc. : Þ
No. of Recommendations: 1
Although I'm only in my late 20s, as I get older I want a Porsche or BMW less and less and a 60s/70s GTO, Mustang, Cuda, Chevelle, Charger, etc.. more and more.

For example, I'll take the car in this link over a Boxster any day:
http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/mopar/70CudaHardtop

Maybe part of it has to do with growing up in the south. Even though I was in high school in the early 90s, many of my friends had muscle cars much older than they were.

One of my friends (with the help of his dad) built two late-60s Mustangs before he graduated high school. He built the second Mustang - a 1967 fastback - from the ground up. In all, their family had three 1960s Mustangs, including a dark red convertible. I can still remember one summer day when he and I took our girlfriends out for a drive in the country with the top down.

Another friend had a 1970 Chevelle SS that he tinkered with practically every day. Another one of my friends had a beautiful white 1966 Mustang. Another kid in my high school had a blue 1969 Camaro with white racing stripes. Unfortunately, he drove into a ditch and flipped it a few times. One of the popular girls drove a white 1975 Corvette Stingray. There were others, but those are the ones I remember most. There wasn't anything cool about driving a compact car.

Now that I live in the north I don't see nearly as many classic muscle cars on the street. Then again, I'm happy I don't have to look at "Bigfoot" trucks accessorized with a gun rack and confederate flags.

I'll be moving in a few years, and I'm hoping for good roads, little or no snow, and a large garage.

marxtacy
I'm just an old fart,
===*===

So am I. That's the point. MY mid-life crises cost me $800, unfortunately stage II looks like it's gonna cost me 30 large.
a 1967 fastback
===*===

Gawd I love the looks of that thing and the '68 [even more] iteration.

Steve McMopp
RE: roger: "382 Thin sleeves and undersized ( slightly ) pistons?"

Oversized fingers!

SB
Although I'm only in my late 20s, as I get older I want a Porsche or BMW less and less and a 60s/70s GTO, Mustang, Cuda, Chevelle, Charger, etc.. more and more.

Interesting. I'm only a few years older than you and went the exact opposite way. I had a 67 Mustang fastback when I was in high school and had loads of free time to work on the car (I only fixed minor stuff though, no engine internals). Now that I'm a little bit older I find myself with a lot more money and a lot less free time so I opted for the Boxster.

Of course, the downside is that I can't work on this car even if I wanted to. At least not easily. One of my brake lights went out last week and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the lens assembly off to get to the bulb. I'm going to feel like a real boob if I have to take this car into the shop to replace a $2 bulb. Of course I could buy the Porsche service manual for $500 if I wanted. Shyeah, right.

Wot
I'm going to feel like a real boob if I have to take this car into the shop to replace a $2 bulb.
===*===

There's no such thing on a Porsche. : Þ
There's no such thing on a Porsche. : Þ

Oh, no doubt it'll cost me $50-$100 to have them replace it (unless it happens to be covered under the warranty). The part itself though can't cost more than a few bucks. Hell, it must not even be a very well-made part if it's failed after about 3 years (an it's not like I use my brakes very much anyway ;) ).

Wot
Now that I'm a little bit older I find myself with a lot more money and a lot less free time so I opted for the Boxster.

Part of it has to do with the price of a BMW, Porsche, etc. As I get close to being able to afford a 50k car, I find that I'm less inclined to do so. I guess it would contradict the spending/saving habits that got me to where I have the option. Ohhhh...the irony! Spending half that on an already restored 1968 GTO seems much more attractive. The maintenance/tuning costs will probably be similar.

I was talking with my dad - who used to have a snazzy GTO - about owning a classic car and he said they don't really require as much time as one might think. It is just that most people who buy them treat it as a hobby and tinker with them just for the heck of it.

marxtacy
Oh, no doubt it'll cost me $50-$100 to have them replace it
===*===

At least. My honda mechanics are getting $80/hr labor, lemme rephrase that, they're charging ME $80/hr for labor and so far nuttin' takes less than an hour most often more ['course we're dealing with an '87 here].
But they sound silly on full acceleration.
===*===

Maybe that's the point. Same as a lot of stuff, breast implants, toupes, corsets etc etc. : Þ

<Showing ignorance>
what do breast implants sound like on full acceleration??
squish squish??
</Showing ignorance>
what do breast implants sound like on full acceleration??
===*===

Hers or yours? : Þ
One of my brake lights went out last week and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the lens assembly off to get to the bulb.

If it's a 986:

Repair Instructions: To fix, open the trunk and look to the lower right where the back of the right taillight is. Unscrew the two black disks holding the trunk liner and set them aside. The taillight assembly comes out for bulb changing in one assembly held in by a plastic tab located about the center of the assembly.

http://www.986faq.com/10-0/problems.asp

Richard
Thanks for the link Twitty! I think I ran across that site shortly after I bought the car but I haven't been back there since. I figured the tail light assembly came out through the trunk since there aren't any screws on the outside, but I don't remember seeing any "two black disks". I'll check again after work.

Wot