Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello everyone;

I am in need of some advice, obviously. Here's my situation. My father took out a Parents Loan while I was in school. Since getting out of school, I have taken over the payments. I have received my 1099-statement of interest paid during 2000. The name on the 1099 is my father's. My question is, can I claim the deduction on my taxes since I made the payments? I was planning on drawing up a document, getting a signature from my father, that explained the situation and kept the document in my tax file for the year.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.