No. of Recommendations: 6
Interesting responses to the concept of choosing a
to live as an expat. My thinking is that the worst primary motive for choosing to live abroad is to lower one's cost of living. As with all choices cost is a factor that must be considered but it should be a thresh hold item, an answer to the question "Can I afford it?"

One key component of affordability is health care cost. In our case it is feasible for us to live in Thailand. We both maintain Medicare A & B and the most inexpensive high deductible supplement as a health care backstop. Excellent health care is available in Thailand. My routine office visits usually cost less in total than an office visit co-pay in the US. For most routine old age treatments such as cataract surgery with lens replacement it is less expensive to get treated in Thailand. We live in a city with an excellent government university medical school which raises the standard of care throughout the community. In each specialty we utilize we have a choice of doctors with medical degrees from the US, European countries, Australia, China, Thailand or others.

Our financial risk management plan is to have all our assets except a small sum in local bank invested at reputable US financial institutions. Funds for living expenses are transferred a few times a year. So far the system works well.

The plus side for me is that I enjoy Thai culture. Thailand is not an easy country to live in but it is interesting to me. I am a little introverted, enjoy solitude and would rather have a few good friends than many acquaintances and socially I have that here so life is good. We'll be off on a jaunt through Scandinavia for the month of may so will enjoy cooler weather for a bit, among other things. My siblings have come to visit and we will return to the States to visit them and our daughter and grand daughter every few years.

If one likes a little adventure and challenge in retirement an expat life might be for you. It is a challenge, not all comfortable all the time but for some of us it is rewarding.

Bob
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.