No. of Recommendations: 0
Interesting that, unlike my recent escapade, you had no issues installing the SSD. My earlier thread bought out that my GD's Mid 2012 MBP had a SATA cable issue, replacing that let it rip, and all is great now for her. OWC support said he'd seen several of the mid 2012's have the same issue, so it's interesting yours did not with the Crucial SSD..

Alls well that ends well...

weco
(who should SSD my MacPro!)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have a 2012 MBP BTO with a Core i7, SSD, and extra RAM. It's reasonably fast, even by compared to recent machines. My son uses it for school now.

It's possible, as we found in another thread, that your daughter's MBP had bad blocks on its HD. Bad blocks can cause repeated and failed attempts to read or write data, which may or may not be reflected in system logs and are often not flagged onscreen, other than the beach balls, etc. The Apple Store is unlikely to have run a bad block scan on it, unless you left it there for hours or days. Those scans take a very long time.

So while an SSD will definitely be faster than a HD, it's entirely possible you had issues other than needing faster storage.

-awlabrador
No. of Recommendations: 0
Interesting that, unlike my recent escapade, you had no issues installing the SSD. My earlier thread bought out that my GD's Mid 2012 MBP had a SATA cable issue, replacing that let it rip, and all is great now for her. OWC support said he'd seen several of the mid 2012's have the same issue, so it's interesting yours did not with the Crucial SSD..

Alls well that ends well...

weco
(who should SSD my MacPro!)