Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I couldn't think of another place to put this. This definitely isn't publishable, and it's not life changing, but it is an interesting observation, that I felt should be shared. Maybe someone could run further with this idea.

Last year I went to TipRanks and navigated to its Trending Stocks page. Once there I went through the list, and selected every company that was listed as a "strong buy" with at least 15% upside. I did this at some point in October (I don't remember what day) and the last day of November. I had planned on doing it more, but honestly forgot. But I just found my notes the other day and in review, there were some surprising results.

Of the 26 stocks identified in October, 17 are up more than 15%. Only five are down. Of the 18 stocks identified in November, 10 are up more than 15%, and only 3 are down. What's particularly interesting is that in November, I also took note of the "moderate buys" showing 15% upside. The results weren't nearly as good. Of the 34 stocks that fit this category, only 15 are up more than 15%. 15 are actually down.

Biggest winner from October strong buys was Argenx, up 96%. Worst was FedEx, down 30%.

Biggest winner from November strong buys was Yeti Holdings, up 71%. Worst was ProPetro Holding Corp, down 49%.

Biggest winner from November moderate buys was Spark Therapeutics, up 165%. Worst was Whiting Petroleum, down 82%.

I'm not providing commentary or a takeaway. I'm not saying TipRanks is the way to go as I don't believe algorithms etc. can match the ability of a human learning to recognize great companies. I'm merely throwing this observation out there.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.