Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
G'day from Australia,

I am reasonably familiar with the appropriate steps in determining a rule maker. However my problem is that I am making these assessments from a foreign country which provides an exchange rate problem.
a)How do I discount back future cash flows in order to determine intrinsic value when there is the added bonus of exchange rate fluctuations to consider?
b) Are there any other areas I should be aware of in respect to valuing a U.S. company when I am on the down under side of the big pond?

regards macca06
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
the added bonus of exchange rate fluctuations to consider

Perhaps some financial wiz like howardroark will tell me I'm nuts, but given that we are looking years/decades out (and we can't begin to predict these exchange rate fluctuations), I would ignore them. Odds are they will more or less even out over the course of decades, especially between two first-world countries like the US and Australia.

I suppose if you wanted to get really fancy you could plot the exchange rate over time, run a spline fitting routine, and make some projections. But given how unforseen events (like wars) can have major effects on exchange rates, I'm not sure how useful an exercise that would be.

just 1poorguy's opinion...probably worth what you paid for it!
No. of Recommendations: 0
However my problem is that I am making these assessments from a foreign country which provides an exchange rate problem.
a)How do I discount back future cash flows in order to determine intrinsic value when there is the added bonus of exchange rate fluctuations to consider?
b) Are there any other areas I should be aware of in respect to valuing a U.S. company when I am on the down under side of the big pond?

I don't know if I completely understand your question. What exchange rate problems are you having? Are you buying these companies on the NYSE or an Austrialian exchange?