No. of Recommendations: 0
Internet ads are different in that they are more measureable; you can count the click-throughs and adjust your targets accordingly. And they are more of the same, because you never know how many of those click-throughs ended up buying your product offline.

In my experience, the art of target advertising appears to be working. Over time, I see a higher and higher percentage of internet advertising for products related to what I look at. On TMF and Yahoo, I see almost all financial products ads and computer products ads. Okay, I'm not buying their stuff. But I'm a legitimate prospect for these services. Compare and contrast this with TV advertising. I watch some sports, see a lot of beer ads. Cute beer ads, entertaining beer ads, and totally ineffective (with respect to me) beer ads because I don't drink beer. I'm not even a prospect for their product.

DCLK is doing much cooler forms of ad targeting than this. With bandwidth expanding so fast soon you won't notice banner ads slowing down your connection. They will make new ads of course. With new forms of targeting banner ads are simply links paid to be in front of you. You are probably looking for the stuff. Advertising can not be cut out of a mass media, its part of its core.

Pwei

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.