Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
A followup to my post from a few days ago...I'm still interested in relocating internationally, but that will probably be a few years before it is realistic.

I have a team lead that is very frustrating to worth with. A few weeks ago I was switched into a new team, and my new goals were much better. However the new team lead is moving into a new division of the company, which means my job is being realigned under the old guy. After a 1 on 1 today where all the usual problems arose I realized I need to do something about the situation.

There are a bunch of positions that might be great for me in another area of the company I work for. It is a fairly large fortune 500 type company. The positions are in teams on the east and west coasts, I'm currently in Texas. The jobs are for new grads or people with a few years experience. I'm sort of both at the moment...I got a masters last December, and I have a bit over 2 years of experience. What I'd like to know is how do you approach getting a job within your own company?

Normally they screen resumes and contact whoever they want. The advantage I have is that I know exactly what managers have the positions I'm interested in (I do campus recruiting for my company, so I have all this info in a spreadsheet). I'm not sure exactly how I should make contact...I don't want to step on any toes, either in the departments I'm interested in moving to or in my own department if they find out I'm trying to move somewhere else.

To start, I think I'm going to get Nick's book, as this is the ideal situation where you can pitch your value to the particular position rather than having a more generic resume. When contacting the hiring manager, should I call him? Should I email him? I think email might be the best option. I can attach any documents I want to send along, state my case, and ask that he give me a call if he thinks I may be appropriate.

What about my current group? Do I need to give them a heads up so that an uncomfortable situation doesn't arise? This doesn't seem like a good idea at least at first, because this could go nowhere and then you've stepped on some toes for nothing.

Anything I haven't considered? I'd appreciate any input.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.