Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I turned 62 a few months ago. I started drawing my social security early. (I may change my mind and return it all before the year is up - still chewing on it.) I am self employed and I am doing fairly well, finally. I got a professional designation in my 50's and concentrated on my business. I am way behind in saving for retirement. I hoped to take the early SS check to invest in the hopes of earning more than 8% over 5 years, maybe a little longer. I do not need the SS check now, only hoped to invest it and have it earn more when I'm 66 - 70. I think I may be able to add about the same amount on my own as well for 5 years.
I won't be where I'd like to be - but much closer.

My question. Is taking the early SS payments and investing it a bad idea or a good one. My wife will draw off of mine, so in taking it early it will hurt how much she will draw, but potentially we could come out better than mine earning 8% from the government. If I died she could do better with me investing it if I can earn better than 8% over the next 5 years. (She won't be 66 for another 8 years).

Thanks for any advice or tips.
Surveyor24
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.