No. of Recommendations: 0
It used to be that there would be a 20 minute huddle by authorities at the ticket counter every time I tried to travel by air. And I couldn't get a boarding pass online. I filed and got a redress number, and there has been no further issues on that front.

Today I returned from international travel, and it happened again, this time at immigration. The passport was temporarily confiscated, and I was lead into a side room, and told to wait while a couple people huddled around a monitor. There was muttering about aliases and an outstanding warrant, and they jokingly asked me if I had any aliases. I replied in a serious voice that I don't do aliases. (If I can't joke with them, I would think that they should not joke with me.) Finally they cleared me, gave me back the passport and sent me on my way.

One would think that with the new handy dandy chip embedded, finger prints, photos, etc., available with a swipe and a few key strokes, that this sort of thing wouldn't happen. Is there any follow-up possible on this, or am I now to endure hassles coming back from international travel just because I have a common name?

Kat
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.