Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I will be "retiring" out of an old pension plan I have in a few weeks, which will pay a monthly amount of about $1,200, which will be taxable income. Unfortunately, I'm in a high tax bracket, but can't put the money into a deferred account, as I will need the funds for my kids' college expenses starting in about 4 - 5 years and am about 15 years away from being old enough to really retire. So, what to do?? I was thinking of buying a tax exempt mutual fund, adding the $1,200 or so every month, so at least I wouldn't be taxed on the income. Or, maybe a zero coupon bond. Anybody have a better idea??


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.