Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 15
Friends,

Because confession is good for the soul, each of us should review our biggest investing mistakes of the last year and then share the ghoulish details on this discussion board.

No need to write the Great American (or in Jim G's case, Canadian) novel; just identify the company, your initial thesis, what went wrong, and how you intend not to repeat the mistake again.

Sometimes, of course, problems come out of left field. But I think we cause most of our own problems. ("The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, that we are underlings." --from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar)

In looking over my bad decisions, for instance, each resulted from veering away from my well-defined process of 1) vetting earnings power, 2) making sure there is a durable competitive advantage, and 3) buying at discount to intrinsic value.

Buying and selling stocks is not for people who are afraid of making mistakes. On the other hand, there is no glory in making the same mistakes over-and-over. So let's see if we can improve our game by making a few investing resolutions for 2006.

My portfolio autopsy will appear on these pages in the next few weeks. I hope you will consider doing the same.

Hewitt
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.