Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
investinginfinity -

Thanks for buying the book, first of all.

Second, I estimate intrinsic value using a short-hand method before I run the numbers through my model, and then if the earnings quality and competitive advantage pass muster then I use a more detailed approach. I want to stress that this approach does not always work, as readers who recall my "Christmas present in October" comments about First Marblehead can attest.

The reason I value the company twice is to save time. If a company doesn't look to offer a minimum 15% CAGR every year for the next three years, then I move on to the next company. Time is precious and I am trying to avoid value-traps. If, however, my minimum return looks achievable, then I will create an Earnings Power Chart, think about competitive advantage, and also value the business using 3-4 approaches, including the Croesus Test which I introduce at the end of the book.

My next column for Real Money shows how to estimate your annualized return for the next three years. It is a simple model that uses Yahoo data. I track about 80 companies and every day I hit the MSN 'update quotes' button and my Excel SS automatically recalculates my 3-year CAGR, as well as the longer-term PIV-ER numbers. (See posts from last Fall on PIV-ER to learn more.) A reader of this board showed me how to link MSN quotes to my SS, and this function have saved lots of time. I'll explain how you can do this in my column, which I will post here.

Hewitt
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.