Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I would like to get advice on which of the following has better capital gains tax implications, as well as estate tax planning implications. Is it better to invest in stocks for kids through an UGMA account, a simple joint brokerage account or both?

Also for the joint brokerage account, do I set up a custodial account or a joint account? and how do I do it so that capital gains are taxed at the minors rate? I am asking because they always ask for social security numbers for everyone listed on the account,
so who gets to claim it on their form?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.