Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 10
The longest-serving Republican in the Iowa Legislature said he's leaving the party, in part because of his disapproval [of] President Donald Trump.

Rep. Andy McKean... plans to register as a Democrat and vote with the minority caucus.

"With the 2020 presidential election looming on the horizon, I feel, as a Republican, that I need to be able to support the standard bearer of our party," McKean said during a news conference at the Capitol. "Unfortunately, that's something I'm unable to do."

McKean said Trump is just one part of a bigger national trend of partisanship that made him feel out of place in the Republican caucus. McKean said when he joined the Iowa Statehouse 40 years ago, there were many moderates in the Republican Party. But now, he said, the ranks have thinned.

"I think the party has veered very sharply to the right," McKean said. "That concerns me."

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2019/0...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
McKean said Trump is just one part of a bigger national trend of partisanship that made him feel out of place in the Republican caucus. McKean said when he joined the Iowa Statehouse 40 years ago, there were many moderates in the Republican Party. But now, he said, the ranks have thinned.

"I think the party has veered very sharply to the right," McKean said. "That concerns me."

I gather the 60-year gradual creep to the right escaped his notice. But good on him for noticing the sharp, veering part.
MAGA. I was coming here to post this link to Time. http://time.com/5577204/andy-mckean-iowa-republican-democrat...
".<<<The longest-serving Republican in the Iowa Legislature said he's leaving the party, in part because of his disapproval [of] President Donald Trump.>>>

The party as well as the deep state is full o "never Trumper's".
Good riddance, go join the RINO's and globalists.
Hard to believe that someone who is pro-life, anti-labor, anti-min wage, pro voter id, anti-gun is a RINO.