No. of Recommendations: 1
IP says:"A sense of humor ...snip...is no doubt a bigger measure of expected survival than gait speed."

I disagree 🙂.

I think gait speed, as used in the OP article, is positively correlated with smoothly operating, painfree joints.

Gait speed is an INDICATOR of potential problems with the various organs and organ systems in the body.

One person close to me, had slow gait speed due to COPD and chronic emphysema.
Another, due to kidney failure.

I know quite a few folk with muscle OR tendon OR connective tissue malfunctions, who don't walk too good. Think fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, MS, MD, ruptured/herniated/bulging disc, loss of menisci in the knee, damaged ligaments around the knee, etc.

Bone health issues such as bone-on-bone joints, bone spurs, calcified joints, improperly aligned bones, etc

Nerve issues such as sciatica, diabetic neuropathy, etc manifesting as pain which directly affects gait speed. (Don't forget that diabetes means the tissues of the leg and lower leg are not getting enough nutrients for proper functions either). How about nonpainful nerve malfunctions.

Balance issues whether neural due to inner ear problems, poorly functioning sensory nerve endings in feet, ankles, knees, hips, lower back, or any of the muscles, tendons, and other connective tissue, contribute to gait speed.

Improperly functioning muscles, joints, bones, etc implies that other (vital?) organs and organ systems are not free jctioning properly.

Stiffness and health conditions of muscles, tendons, connective tissues, and bone all affect the flexibility, smoothness, and ease of movement of joints.

I'm not surprised that study found a positive correlation between gait speed and death.

I suspect the correlation was even stronger prior to 1900.

🙂
ralph
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.