No. of Recommendations: 0
Was just browsing the local paper (St.L.) at lunchtime - (not usually a source for broadband news(!)) - and happened across this IPO announcement (announced yesterday) from Charter Communications. Here's the link to newspaper's article:
http://postnet.com/postnet/stories.nsf/ByDocID/50A4F934D29A2237862567BD003582FF

Charter is one of the big cable companies in this region. Was bought last year by Paul Allen's group, and along with other acquisitions he's made, they've been combined into his "Wired World" initiative. Though I've always objected to their TV pricing schedule, I've been a captive of theirs, as they have the monopoly on cable service in my area of St. L. (In fact, I didn't realize that TCI was an even larger presence in the region, as I don't have access to their service in my community.) I must say that I've been impressed with their service and offerings re: cable modem. For now, it's the only game in town where I'm located, and SW Bell doesn't even have a timetable for roll-out of xDSL - so any local ISP's are held hostage by this RBOC.

According to Charter's internal news memo, this IPO is "scheduled" for sometime in late 3rd qtr. 1999 - (not far off).

http://www.chartercom.com/zone/press_15.html

May be worth looking into for those interested in broadband IPO's.

NowHappilyWiredThruCable,
-mgk
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.