Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
after filing taxes for 2000
i started an ira for 2001
and made a non-deductible contribution of 2K

i was pleased to learn that
"it was not too late for me to make a contribution for the year 2000"

so i deposited another 2K into an ira as a non-deductible contribution for the year 2000 (done in april 2001)

in filing this year's return (2001)
i'm required to fill out form 8606
for my non deductible contribution to my traditional IRA.

it now occurs to me that i did not fill out this form for my 2000 return.

what now?
do i get taxed twice on my 2000 non-deductible contribution?
do i have to refile my entire 2000 return or is there a simple ammendment i can provide?
can i simply file it on form 8606 for my 2001 return?


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.