Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello All,

I'm considering opening a Roth IRA, but am not sure where, exactly, to do it. I do know that I want to start with Saturna's Amana Mutual Funds Trust Growth Fund (AMAGX), but am unsure whether or not to go directly through the fund company or through a brokerage. If one buys directly from the fund company, there is not a yearly custodial fee, while a $25 fee exists if holding the fund in an IRA through a brokerage. Also, many discount brokerages, like Scottrade, have a minimum mutual fund purchase of $100, while Amana allows purchases of $25. So my money would simply sit in a cash account at Scottrade or elsewhere until I accumulated their minimum.

I'd like to have all my investments under one roof, so to speak, rather than spread out between several brokerages, mutual fund companies, etc., but don't want to see my investments eaten up in fees. Has anyone encountered this dilemma before? Am I fretting too much over losing $25 a year? Is a self-directed IRA the best option if you want to add different funds/stocks/etc. to your portfolio rather than?

I'd love to hear thoughts.

-Narn Ceredir
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.