No. of Recommendations: 0
Age 54.
Married with No children.
No pension or 401K.
Debt paid down.
Mortgage and car only debt.
Enough savings for emergencies, contingency fund, etc.

I am now choosing between a traditional and Roth IRA for the 2005 tax year. Then the same decision for 2006. Money already saved. The lum sum would be invested all at once, not a little each month for these two years.

I presently have no IRA and my spouse plans to retire in between 5-7 years depending on a variety of factors.

I have two IRA questions.( Yes I have left the same question with my
tax advisor, lawyer and financial advisor; just covering the bases.)

1. I am wondering is there is a reason to choose one IRA over another
if one has no children, assuming spouse dies first.

2. If the costs for paying for a IRA is small, less than $15 a year
why not have both the traditional IRA, for years when you need a tax deduction; and a Roth IRA, for the years you don't.

Thanks,
DW
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.