No. of Recommendations: 0
This is a shameless request for tax advice. I'd like some feedback on whether I'm doing this correctly. I plan to start taking distributions from my traditional IRA under the so-called "annuity" exception. I have the value of my IRA as of 12/31/99, and I plan to use the joint life expectancy from the tables in IRS Pub 590. The divisor I get based on our ages as of 12/31/00 is 38.7 (I'll be 51, she'll be 50). My reading of the instructions is that I simply divide the value of my IRA (no adjustments) by 38.7 to get the required distribution for the first year. For subsequent years, I simply refigure the joint life expectancy divisor from the same tables using our ages as of our birthdays for those years. Is it that simple? Am I missing something? Thanks for any help.
-Chester :)
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.