Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I know that this is going to be a question that should be simple to find an answer to but I've spent an hour looking for the answer at the irs site and couldn't figure it out so I'm hoping someone here could help.

I took a distribution from my traditional IRA in 2001. It's all taxable and I'm filing a 1040A (I think, not sure now because of the distribution). My question is what form do I file to claim this distribution? I may not be asking all the questions I need to ask about this so any info is greatly appreciated and if I'm not asking on the right board, please direct me to the correct one. Thank you.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I took a distribution from my traditional IRA in 2001. It's all taxable and I'm filing a 1040A (I think, not sure now because of the distribution). My question is what form do I file to claim this distribution?

You report IRA distributions on line 11b of the 1040A.

Phil Marti
I did see this on on the 1040A form but when I went to the instructions on that line, then it got very confusing. It seems to me it should be simple enough to just put the amount on this line but the instructions appear to indicate wanting a separate form filed for it but it doesn't say what form. I figure I can work through the form it wants if I knew what form that was. Maybe I'll just go ahead and put the amount in and see if they contact me back and tell me I need to file form "???" in addition. Thanks Phil.
... the instructions appear to indicate wanting a separate form filed for it but it doesn't say what form.

There is no additional form to file unless you previously made non-deductible contributions to your traditional IRA. Then you would need to file form 8606 to calculate the taxable amount of the withdrawl.

Or maybe your thinking of the form your IRA custodian uses to report the withdrawl, which is 1099R. They complete that and send it to you, much like your employer completes form W-2.

--Peter
No. of Recommendations: 1
I did see this on on the 1040A form but when I went to the instructions on that line, then it got very confusing. It seems to me it should be simple enough to just put the amount on this line but the instructions appear to indicate wanting a separate form filed for it but it doesn't say what form.

I don't have a copy of the 1040A instructions, but there's no other form you need to file. Perhaps it was talking about the 1099-R, which you should have received from the IRA custodian, but you don't have to file that form. You're fine as long as you put the amount of the distribution on line 11b.

Phil Marti
You should have received a 1099R showing the taxable amount of the IRA distribution. Only if you had taxes withheld as indicated on the 1099R, would you have to send in a copy of the 1099R with your tax filing. Good luck --- gopete