No. of Recommendations: 0

I am a married person and my spouse does not work. We file a joint return. My AGI is below 150,000.
I am considering opening a ROTH IRA account under my name. Here are some things I need clarified.
1. I understand that I can contribute a maximum annual amount of $2000. Given my situation can I make this account joint under mine and my spouse's name and hence contribute $4000 anually ?
2. If not should I be opening another IRA ( Spousal IRA) account in my spouse's name and contribute $2000 in addition to the $2000 contribution to my ROTH IRA account?
Also will this spousal IRA account be traditional IRA account or Roth IRA account ?
If it is a traditional IRA account, then is the contribution tax deductable given my situation ?

Any help in this regard will be appreciated.


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.