Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
In Oct 1999, I opened a Roth IRA and contributed $2000. In January 2000, I made another $2000 contribution.

Now I'm doing my taxes. Oops, with overseas income and capital gains, I'm not eligible for a Roth. I'm reading up on recharacterization; I can open up a traditional IRA (non-deductable) and recharacterize. All things staying the course, I probably won't be eligible for a Roth in 2000 either.

1) Do I just recharacterize the whole $4000 and the earnings now, or only $2000 this year and $2000 next year?

2) Recharacterization should generate a 1099-R from somebody (the old Roth IRA trustee?). Do the numbers on this 1099-R get reported in 1999 or 2000? If this recharacterization is reported in 1999, does that mean I have to file an extension while I wait for the new account to be opened and the 1099-R mailed to me?
Print the post Back To Top
<< In Oct 1999, I opened a Roth IRA and contributed $2000. In January 2000, I made another $2000 contribution.

Now I'm doing my taxes. Oops, with overseas income and capital gains, I'm not eligible for a Roth. >>

Before we go any further, please clarify. Are you ineligible for a Roth contribution because of your AGI or because you don't have any earned income on the return?

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti
Before we go any further, please clarify. Are you ineligible for a Roth contribution because of your AGI or because you don't have any earned income on the return?

I'm not eligible due to AGI limitations.
<< In Oct 1999, I opened a Roth IRA and contributed $2000. In January 2000, I made another $2000 contribution.

Now I'm doing my taxes. Oops, with overseas income and capital gains, I'm not eligible for a Roth. I'm reading up on recharacterization; I can open up a traditional IRA (non-deductable) and recharacterize. All things staying the course, I probably won't be eligible for a Roth in 2000 either.

1) Do I just recharacterize the whole $4000 and the earnings now, or only $2000 this year and $2000 next year? >>

Thanks for the clarification that it's the AGI limit that's tripping you up. You have until 10/16/2000 to recharacterize the 1999 contribution. If you're sure that you'll be over the limit for 2000, you might as well go ahead and do that one now too. However, you can wait until the end of 2000 to be sure. You will have until October 2001 to fix the 2000.

<< 2) Recharacterization should generate a 1099-R from somebody (the old Roth IRA trustee?). Do the numbers on this 1099-R get reported in 1999 or 2000? If this recharacterization is reported in 1999, does that mean I have to file an extension while I wait for the new account to be opened and the 1099-R mailed to me? >>

Any 1099-R's will be for the year the recharacterization occurs, issued in January of the following year. Here's how you report. You are recharacterizing your Roth IRA contribution(s) as nondeductible (I presume) traditional IRA contributions. You report such 1999 contributions on your 1999 Form 8606, Part I. You also report the Roth distribution/recharacterization in Part III of your 1999 Form 8606.

When the 1099-R comes out next year it will be coded as a recharacterization, and you'll just report it with a zero taxable amount.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti
Any 1099-R's will be for the year the recharacterization occurs, issued in January of the following year. Here's how you report. You are recharacterizing your Roth IRA contribution(s) as nondeductible (I presume) traditional IRA contributions. You report such 1999 contributions on your 1999 Form 8606, Part I. You also report the Roth distribution/recharacterization in Part III of your 1999 Form 8606.

Many thanks. This would all be so much easier if they just removed all the limitations. 8^)
No. of Recommendations: 1
How can you put the funds in a nondeductible regular IRA and not be able to use a ROTH IRA? I thought the income limits for a regular IRA were actually lower?

Sorry to be dense.

<< How can you put the funds in a nondeductible regular IRA and not be able to use a ROTH IRA? I thought the income limits for a regular IRA were actually lower? >>

There are no AGI limits for making contributions to traditional IRAs. The AGI limits for deductibility of them are the same or lower than the Roth limits, so you were in the right church, wrong pew.

<< Sorry to be dense. >>

Hard to understand how you could be, when the rules are SOOOOOOOOO consistent and easy to understand <g>.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti