Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Late last year I mistakenly made a deposit to a regular IRA instead of my Roth.

I conducted a recharacterization and the money was moved from the regular IRA to the Roth..

I received a 1099-R for a distribution of those funds from the regular IRA.

Is this to be expected?

If so, how do I account for this on my tax forms? I hate to think that I'd have to pay tax on this, especially since the initial deposit was from after tax funds.

Do I claim the initial deposit and the distribution so that the tax issue is a wash?

What about the early withdrawal penalty?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.