Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Sorry if this has been discussed many times before, when I saw the previous post's title about a conversion it suddenly occurred to me that I rolled the balance of a regular IRA into an existing Roth account about a year ago and now I may have a problem.

The amounts in both accounts were small (a couple thousand in each) and I just wanted to simplify tracking my portfolio. But when I filed my taxes (electronically via H&R Block software) a couple of months ago, my investment earnings pushed me over the limit for contributing to a Roth IRA for 2010, so I couldn't make a contribution (my salary left me in the range of income where the limit gets phased out, so I needed to wait until I filed before knowing if I could contribute this year).

Is a conversion subject to those same income limits? I'm pretty sure that I included the additional taxes to cover the conversion in my calculations and the software didn't seem to complain, so am I okay?

Thanks in advance for pointing me to the appropriate IRS documentation.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.