Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Marti -

When you have to make RMDs... can you roll the amount distributed into a Roth? (Minus the taxes you owe on the money, of course)

AM
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm not Marti but, yes you can do that. In fact I'm doing that very thing right now.

When you take an RMD from a traditional IRA, it's your money so you can do what ever you want with it. You can spend it or, if you have sufficient "earned income", you can put it in a Roth IRA. But you must have "earned income".

In my case, I'm taking the RMD for 2013 and then putting it into the Roth as a 2012 contribution. I had adequate earned income in 2012 to allow this.
No. of Recommendations: 4
When you have to make RMDs... can you roll the amount distributed into a Roth?

No. RMD's must be completely removed from the universe of retirement accounts. You may convert amounts in addition to your RMD to Roth, though.

The prior response was correct, but I don't think it answered the question you asked. If you qualify to make Roth contributions you certainly may do so. The funding source is irrelevant.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
No. of Recommendations: 1
DoLoop's explanation is correct, but, I would describe it differently to avoid confusion.
The RMD and the Roth contribution are two separate transactions so it is not like an IRA rollover. If you are taking RMD from a TIRA you must do so to prevent penalties and you will pay income tax on the withdrawal.
You can make a contribution to a Roth IRA, but, it is subject to all of the rules associated with such a contribution (earned income, income limitations, contribution limits, etc.).

Bob
P.S. Beat by Phil again and his description is better than mine.

Bob
Thanks so much (to all).
This gave me my answer.
I have no earned income.
So my answer is "no".
Unfortunately.
But that's ok.
I was just wondering. Not planning.
So thanks a lot.

AM
I have no earned income.

If you are married and your spouse has earned income, then you can contribute to an IRA based on your spouse's income.
I have no earned income.

If you are married and your spouse has earned income, then you can contribute to an IRA based on your spouse's income.

---------

Let me rephrase that.
WE have no earned income.
Retired here. :)

AM