No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband opened a Traditional IRA with $2000 for the tax year 1999. At the time we thought this would be deductible, but it turns out it wasn't, because he did one day of union work in 1999 for which he was eligible for pension benefits. A nasty surprise, but we just had to suck it up. He has continued making regular small contributions since April, in after-tax dollars, of course.

My question is this: Since this IRA was completely funded with after-tax money (the original contribution was non-deductible) would it be taxed again if he were to roll it over into a Roth IRA? Or does it make no difference?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.