No. of Recommendations: 0
I have an IRA that I would like to convert to a Roth IRA. The taxes will be too high if I convert it all at once. From reading the IRS Pub 590 regs I think I understand I could transfer a portion of my IRA to the Roth every year without having to convert it all at one time. If this is true it would be great because I work overseas and can use my deductions to offset the small transfers every year for about 4 years with no taxes having been paid. If anyone can verify this I would appreciate the info.
thanks
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Mbwaters, and welcome. You asked:

<<I have an IRA that I would like to convert to a Roth IRA. The taxes will be too high if I convert it all at once. From reading the IRS Pub 590 regs I think I understand I could transfer a portion of my IRA to the Roth every year without having to convert it all at one time. If this is true it would be great because I work overseas and can use my deductions to offset the small transfers every year for about 4 years with no taxes having been paid. If anyone can verify this I would appreciate the info.>>

Your understanding of the provisions of IRS Pub 590 is correct and right on target. You may transfer as little or as much of a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA as you wish. The only requirement is that you meet the adjusted gross income limits in the year of the transfer. Therefore, if you wish to transfer a traditional IRA over a four-year period, you may do so.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post Back To Top