Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I bought my first house last year (5/99) and didn't know I could withdraw money from an IRA for closing costs without paying a penalty. Can I still withdraw the money and reimburse myself for those closing cost or is it too late?
Print the post Back To Top
Mike,

You should perhaps contact the IRS with this question, but it is my impression that it is too late. The way I understand it, you have 120 days to withdraw funds from the day you enter into the binding contract. Here's a link that may be of use:
http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/prod/forms_pubs/pubs/p5900107.htm

I myself don't think that this is bad news, however. If I were able to purchase the house without tapping into my tax-advantaged accounts, I'd leave the IRA alone, particularly if it's a Roth IRA or you would incur a big capital gains tax on your traditional IRA investments. I'd prefer to maintain my tax advantage and stay the course of retirement saving.

Fool on!
Brian
<< I bought my first house last year (5/99) and didn't know I could withdraw money from an IRA for closing costs without paying a penalty. Can I still withdraw the money and reimburse myself for those closing cost or is it too late? >>

It's too late. The disbursement must predate the closing on the house.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Thanks for the information. When I originally applied for a loan I had a bank loan officer tell me I couldn't do it without the paying the penalties, so I didn't. I guess I'm better off anyway!