Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings all,

This year, I had a lot of activity pertaining to consolidating investment accounts and I need to make sure I know which pieces of paper I need to take to my accountant. :)

There are 2 categories of activity.

a) I inherited two 401ks and 1 rollover IRA from my husband, who died in Octover of 2009. I got these accounts moved into my name this year, and got them put into proper retirement accounts within 60 days.
b) I had two 401ks of my own that I moved to a new brokerage.

Basically, my objective was to get everything in my name and consolidated into a single rollover IRA account at my new brokerage.

I know that I will receive tax papers from all the prior custodians stating that they distributed these funds to me. I also know that no income tax should be owed by me associated with these moves.

My question is: What do i need to put together in terms of the paper trail? Should I put these tax papers with stuff i got from my new brokerage that says the funds made it to my new account? Or am i overthinking this?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.