Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a Trad IRA and a Roth IRA (only one of each) and both have been in existence for over 5 years. I am over 60. I also have a company 401K to which I am still making contributions; and our plan allows me to move money from my 401k to the Traditional IRA and I did move some in 2012. I am also making a full Roth IRA contribution of $6500 in 2013 and had made a full $6000 Roth contribution in 2012.

My question is: I want to convert (and pay the taxes on the converted amount) a specific dollar amount from my Traditional IRA to my Roth IRA. If I do convert some funds will that impact my rights or ability to withdraw monies from the ROTH IRA? I am not planning on making any withdrawals from either IRA; but I don't want to be surprised by some 'Gotcha' if a financial emergency were to present itself latter in the year.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.