Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Perhaps this question is answered elsewhere and I just didn't find it. If so, please direct me to the answer.

Due to perhaps not too unusual circumstances, since I make too much money (of which various governments cooperate to deprive me of 40%, and student loans another 30%), and my employer has a very weak retirement plan, I cannot make deductible contributions to an IRA.

Can I make nondeductible contributions to an IRA and obtain any tax benefit in the future? For example, what if I start an IRA and follow the Foolish 4 strategy. Presumably I would not pay capital gains tax when I annually reevaluate and adjust my F4 holdings. Is this correct? Would I pay tax on all distributions after I reach age 60? And since I am not making deductible contributions, can I contribute more than $2,000 a year?

Thanks for your help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.