Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've never used butterfly spreads before. On occasion, I'll have a long call in my portfolio. More often, I'll write puts on stocks that I'd own and covered calls for lunch money. I also write bull put spreads on trending stocks for pocket change. I'm a dabbler that pretty much understands the mechanics. But not on more complex multileg spreads.

I'd like to confirm max loss on a couple of iron butterfly/ iron condor trades. I've never played with this kind of trade. My understanding is that they are ideal for range bound stocks. I want to make sure that I understand their construction and loss profile properly. AFL is rangebound between 52 and 60 and has been for six months. It trades today at 58. So this a real candidate for a trade. Both are net credit trades, with short NTM legs.

First the iron butterfly:

long Jan21,2021 AFL 60 call
short Jan21 AFL 57.50 call
short Jan21 AFL 57.50 put
long Jan21 AFL 55 put

Q1: The max loss on this position is $250 (minus the net credit on the options) if AFL closes over 60 or under 55 on Jan21. Correct?
Q2: Is this trade assembled correctly?

The ideal would be for AFL to settle at 57.50, with the two short options canceling each other out. But the real goal as I see it, is for AFL to remain rangebound. The timevalue on the more valuable short options (both near the money), erodes and you capture that when you close out the trade. Correct?

Now the iron condor:

long Jan21 AFL 60 call
short Jan21 AFL 58 call
short Jan21 AFL 57 put
long Jan21 AFL 55 put

Q1: The max loss is $200 (minus the net credit) if AFL closes over 60 or under 55. Correct?
Q2: Is this condor assembled correctly?

The ideal would be for AFL to settle between 57 and 58 on Jan21, with the two short options expiring. You keep the net credit on the spread. But it's okay for AFL to remain rangebound. Some of the timevalue on the NTM short options would still be captured by closing the position after it erodes.

Any corrections or insight appreciated....

Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.