Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I posted about the strategy of leveraging assets that are not paying cash, but are extremely valuable a bit ago, and received some very savvy advice. As in, the Iron Condor strategy might not be a low-risk way to juice the return off of a semi-permanent hold like Berkshire Hathaway. All the arguments I heard made a lot of sense. To paraphrase, the strategy, with 15+ years of history, uses an asset (like Berkshire Hathaway stock, or another asset that has durable value, but doesn't pay much cash; it can include anything of sustainable value that isn't easy to leverage off of) to provide collateral for an out-of-the-money put/call band above and below the S&P Futures index, by both buying and selling puts and calls (2 calls, 2 puts) both above and below the asset to create income around the asset. Possible losses are defined, and limited, by definition.

I have not pulled the trigger.

Does anywhere here, though, have a suggestion for a Motely Fool board that discusses this sort of thing daily? I posted to one board that seems to be inactive. I just want to further vet this idea with people that play in the arena on a daily, or at least regular, basis.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

I am just trying to do my due diligence to make sure I am not passing up an opportunity that actually doesn't have much risk, that could earn roughly 6% on top of the return I already expect for Berkshire.

If you know of a place on Motely Fool or elsewhere where I could further discuss this idea, please share. Obviously, it would need to be a discussion group that are options experts.

Many Thanks!

Doc
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.