Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
No surprise that COVID also hit the IRS. Individual states are probably having the same problem.

2019 filing season was messy for me because besides our own return there were two estates and a special needs trust to handle. I'm glad I didn't procrastinate with most being filed electronically in early March.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/5268eda6-5417-345e-b238-0ba0...

IRS has 1 million unprocessed returns and 3 million pieces of unopened mail after COVID-19 wreaked havoc on tax season
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Though neither my state or the IRS wasted anytime processing our 2020 estimated tax payments.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I had a delay when I sent a check with the proper voucher when I filed in March. Took the IRS 6 weeks to cash my check, so yes they were short on staff.

My estimated payment early in the year also took 3 weeks to process.

My last estimated payment in Sept cashed in 3 days.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I had a delay when I sent a check with the proper voucher when I filed in March. Took the IRS 6 weeks to cash my check, so yes they were short on staff.
My estimated payment early in the year also took 3 weeks to process.
My last estimated payment in Sept cashed in 3 days.

===================================================
Moral of the story: File electronically and pay electronically.

It takes hours, or maybe a day or so - for the federal and state returns to be "accepted" - the federal return is usually a matter of hours. But when you pay online, you have confirmation of the payment immediately.

Bill
Moral of the story: File electronically and pay electronically.

Personally, I file electronically and pay by check. This year I electronically filed in mid February with the intention of sending them a check on April 15th. When they extended the filing deadline to July 15th, I waited until then.

gcr
No. of Recommendations: 8
This year I electronically filed in mid February with the intention of sending them a check on April 15th. When they extended the filing deadline to July 15th, I waited until then.

Out of curiosity, how much did your money earn from mid-February to 15 July?

When you file electronically, you can specify the date that any taxes owed are withdrawn from your account when you you pay electronically. I don't see any advantage to manually writing a checks and mailing them to the IRS and your state tax authority.
Out of curiosity, how much did your money earn from mid-February to 15 July?

When you file electronically, you can specify the date that any taxes owed are withdrawn from your account when you you pay electronically. I don't see any advantage to manually writing a checks and mailing them to the IRS and your state tax authority.

Probably next to nothing.

It's a control thing for me. I owed the feds and the state a lot of money (5 figures) and I just like keeping the money in my account as long as possible. I don't escrow my insurance or taxes with my mortgage either for the same reason. Just one of my many quirks.

I never thought about paying them electronically. I've always written checks to the feds and to the state. Probably won't change unless there is an incentive to do so.

gcr
No. of Recommendations: 3
I never thought about paying them electronically. I've always written checks to the feds and to the state. Probably won't change unless there is an incentive to do so.

Not having to write the check or pay for the envelope and postage is incentive enough for me.

You go to the website, set up your checking account info (once), put in the dates and amounts, and you're done for the year.
No. of Recommendations: 8
I've always written checks to the feds and to the state. Probably won't change unless there is an incentive to do so.

The incentive is that electronic payments don't get lost but checks do.

PSU