Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This ROTH IRA is driving me crazy!!!
I am single, contributed (not converted) $2,000 to a Roth IRA in 1998 which, in turn, had a 61.5% gain in 1998. My 1998 AGI was about $107K. I also have a 401K plan with my employer.
I called the IRS & asked them about "reconstructing" the entire amount into a regular non-deductible IRA and was told I couldn't do this because of my earnings & because I have a 401K plan with my company.
I'm at a total loss on how to handle this. Do I just rescue what I can & leave it in the Roth, using the phase out method? If so, what do I do with the $2K that was already taxed? What about the gain? If I have to sell the stock, will the gain need to be applied to 1998 taxes?
I hope someone can understand my confusion & help me through this mess. I'm not sure if I've even covered all the issues.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.