Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 14
Is 15.5%, as
mentioned in the DRIP port articles, a reasonable goal
over long term?

I guess I should set my expection right before moving on.

rainman
============

rainman,

I arbitrarily picked an 11.7% return when I set my personal goal, but I considered the risk and expected performance from what stocks I chose given a long timeframe. I felt then that the aim of my expected return should be a bit more conservative so then if I do better, it is gravy on top.

Lately I would be doing good to tread water and break even.

However, I could absolutely care less how I am today. Time is the great equalizer, and I am not near the end of the line of the timeframe I am in the market for. If I were, I wouldn't be as aggressive as I have been willing to be.

The greater component of being successful in participating in DRiPs is to know yourself and not kid yourself. Don't think you want to invest in something that is on the way to the moon without considering that what goes up doesn't go straight up generally.

Look at very long-term charts and measure the time span where a stock's price drifts downward in that larger picture. Could be a few months to a few years. The chart compresses time in such a way that is difficult for us to compare to our own lives day to day. Understand that these times are times to consider overcontributing to a company's DRiP. Maybe not, you have to decide.

You can read these boards, find cheerleaders and doomsdayers. You have to know yourself. It doesn't mean you can't ask for others views. It means your constitution has to be solid enough to weather day to day changes. The psychology of investing can be the biggest obstacle. Self doubt CAN be your biggest enemy.

Educate yourself in an ongoing manner. I mentioned in an earlier post that for me, tomorrow is Value Line day. I try to do this every week on Tuesday. I can keep up and maybe even learn something new.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-

You said: I was all hyped up and ready to go, then I realized I knew
nothing yet ...

-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-

At least you can recognize your limitations, don't let that hinder you completely. Action must be taken because time is a wasting. Go with your best choice in companies you have looked at. Start the plan!

It is going to take a month or two to get started anyway - use the set-up time as a time to learn more and ask questions! We tend to be a fairly helpful group around here. It may take us some time to respond, but if you are unable to be that patient, DRiPs may not be for you. Patience is key in participating in DRiPs, but you probably knew that much already.

Anyway, stay in touch. Ask us what you want to know. I won't promise any specific company reccomendations. You will have to choose companies appropriate to your risk tolerance and your personal situation.

exilion
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.