Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Just a random question, mainly to keep the board active and open. It's been three months and no one has posted anything here.

Love the gas prices. Just wish diesel would follow suit. A year ago, diesel was about the same price as regular. They've both dropped, but now the diesel near me is 50 cents a gallon more expensive than regular.

--Peter
Print the post Back To Top
The only driving I'm doing is for necessities shopping. I'm trickle charging, and rotating among our cars to keep them all alive. The upside is that I'm really enjoying working from home. Gas in CA has only dropped to $3.50 or so.

Neil
Gas in CA has only dropped to $3.50 or so.

I'm guessing you're in the SF Bay area. Around me here in the OC, the HIGHEST price I can find quickly is 3.39. My usual station - a few blocks from my house - is 2.29 today.

Oh wait. You may be buying premium. My Honda is happy with regular. That might be part of the difference. Around me, you generally add between 20 and 30 cents to the regular price for premium.

--Peter
In the interest of keeping the board going...

Yes, but just a little here and there. I haven't shared this previously, but we sold in two of our cars and bought a 2019 911 S Cabrio at the end of January. Red with black accents and black interior. It's a 3.0L twin turbo with a PDK automated manual transmission. Adaptive suspension, sport valved exhaust, sport package (w/launch control), rear axle steering, you name it. It's a real hoot to drive. Amazing machine, I'm completely smitten.

Filled it up with premium at $2.09 a couple of weeks ago. Cheapest I've seen in forever!
No. of Recommendations: 1
...we sold in two of our cars and bought a 2019 911 S Cabrio....

Oooooo nice! I'm curious...with the options you got, did you not just consider a GTS instead? Or was the convertible experience a must?

xtn
Oooooo nice! I'm curious...with the options you got, did you not just consider a GTS instead? Or was the convertible experience a must?

I would have been very happy if we had found a GTS. But the key was just finding a car locally that checked all the right boxes. It just happened to be an S. Convertible was a necessity for us - I've always owned one over the last ~20 years, and want to keep it that way.

The plan was actually to look for a car from the first years of the 991 generation (lower prices). I had an idea what I wanted, but wasn't actively searching yet. Then a buddy sent me a link to this car that had come in at the local dealership. It was an untitled demo for one of the Porsche execs at PCNA in Atlanta. It had 6k miles, was in pristine condition, and offered at a very attractive price for a nearly new car. It was the right color, and had all my required options. I paid slightly more than what I had planned to spend on a car a few years older. It was a pretty easy decision.
Sport Chrono gets you the mode dial under the right spoke of the steering wheel, right? Have you tried the little button yet?

xtn
Yes, it has the sport mode selector dial. I pretty much always have it in the sport setting. It opens up the exhaust, sharpens the throttle response, shifts, and firms up the suspension. It also makes insane pops and burbles coming off throttle in this mode.

The button I've only pressed a couple of times. I did during the test drive. I know it gives you 20 seconds of "max" everything, including overboost. I'm still getting used to the car, so I don't know that my butt dyno is well calibrated enough to guage the full impact.

Is your GT3 a PDK or manual? What kind of options does it have?
No. of Recommendations: 1
PDK only in the RS model. Never thought I would own a sporty car without a clutch pedal. Have driven Triptronic, SMG, etc. and always thought they were junk. But when I drove PDK, I was like, "Dang, this is better than I ever would have expected."

I've got the Weissach Package, magnesium wheels, front end lift, Sport Chrono, the LED lights, and ceramic composite brakes. Other crap includes stupid stuff I wouldn't have optioned, like the leather on the steering column and the illuminated door sill text. But it was a, "We've got this one, take it or leave it," type situation. Apparently I haven't owned enough Porsches to deserve an allocation to order my own spec.

But I don't care. I love it.

xtn
Wait...you have a Waissach package GT3 RS? Oh my... those are amazing. The dealership I was at had a couple on the showroom floor (along with a GT2 and a 918), and they're beautiful cars.

Do you track your car regularly? I hear the ceramic brakes will last for the life of a street car, but $$$ when they need to be replaced from heavy track use.
I haven't tracked it at all yet unfortunately. Got it new in October. Waited for break-in mileage. Waited over Winter. Pandemic hit.

Brake money comes when rotors need replacing. Pads are typical Porsche prices (not cheap) but still not retirement threatening.

xtn