No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi All,

It's been a long time since I've posted however I'm always lurking.

I've played the balance transfer game for many many years and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get a 0% no fee balance transfer off for any length of time.

I currently have a little under $11,000 in cc debt on two cards with 0% interest one of which is due to expire in September. I can't even remember the last time I've paid any interest.

All the more reason to just pay the cards off.

Any thoughts!

Safe
Print the post Back To Top
You might try cardweb.com, I think I saw some 0% offers advertised there.

I stopped having offers delivered months ago when I started calling all the companies and telling them to take me off their mailing lists. But it seems like Discover always had low fixed rate for life BT offers, and Citibank and Chase had the 0% ones. But its been several months....
I too am playing the balance transfer game. I periodically get offers, but they aren't as good as they used to be. I used to get 12-15 month $0 Fee offers all the time. Now, it's rare.

Now what is more typical is 1.9% for 6 months with a fee.

It's even scarier that the fees are sometimes not capped.
Most of the ones we get are 3%/$75 max if they're zero percent. It definitely puts an end to the cash-the-check/deposit-it/pay-it-back game that was debated endlessly on this board. There's no profit in it.
No. of Recommendations: 1
It's good to know it's not just me!

I just got off the phone with Discover and they are offering me a 0% for life however I have to make a purchase every month to keep that 0% valid.

This definitely motivates me to pay the cards off...
I used to get a lot of "low interest for life with no balance transfer fee" offers. Then the offers started to include balance transfer fees and then the interest rates were only for a period of 6 months to a year. They're definitely not as good as they used to be.

I did recently get an offer from BOA for 12 months, 0%, no balance transfer fee. I have until next week to take advantage of it, so I'm still kinda mulling it over. With my luck they'll give me some dinky credit limit that I won't be able to do anything with!
I have a 0% for 6 months card from Discover that I've been letting a balance sit on. I can either convert it to a "for life" card (with the rule that I have to make a purchase on it once a month) or I can pay it off come October. I think I'll do that latter, since the purchases will accumulate interest since obviously they put the payments towards the 0% portion first.
I did recently get an offer from BOA for 12 months, 0%, no balance transfer fee. I have until next week to take advantage of it, so I'm still kinda mulling it over. With my luck they'll give me some dinky credit limit that I won't be able to do anything with!

That's what happened to me---twice! The credit limits were so dinky it's not worth the trouble for me to do anything with them---and the last thing I want is to have payments spread out across several credit cards. I like only having to worry about two payments---and one of them is 0%; the other is 2.9% "for life" on part of the balance, but a whopping 16% on the rest of the balance. But, even if I transfer any of this balance to the two dinky little cards for 0%----Citi is going to transfer the balance that is at 2.9%---not the 16% balance; so it isn't going to be worth my trouble in the long-run. I am just going to keep going with what I am doing and focus on paying off the higher-rate card as fast as I can (which will take a while).

Jen