Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey Fools,

Is it just me, or has the marketing of these so-called "non-profit" associations than handle Consumer debt (like Ameridebt, Debtfreedom, etc...) has gone up the roof??? Am I seeing visions? In TV and online, ads for these organizations are everywhere! Not that I mind more help for people who need to get their debt under control. However, I happen to know a good bunch of these "non-profits" are well funded by banks and credit card issuers (sometimes by regulation, like the CCCS on each state, but more often by choice of banks and credit issuers) I guess they want to avoid BKs on their customer base, so they offer these services of "last resort" to people.

Most operate ONLY for unsecured debt, so they are not really alternatives to BK unless all your debt is unsecured. Also, I saw an ad of one of these organizations offering "cash back" to those paying on time. The way it works is that you front the money yourself, they hold it (keeping the interest) and then at the end of some period of time, they give it back to you. The kicker? well, if you enroll and then drop later, they get to keep the $$$...what a helpful freakin' service!!! Has anyone here use them in their way to BK, or perhaps instead of BK? I know CCCS is a truly non-profit, but what about everyone else offering these services?

So am I seeing visions or has the marketing of these organizations increased a lot lately? Defaults are more likely to happen in this shrinking economy.... Is this why banks are giving money to them? why would a non-profit have so much $$$ for advertising?

I smell a rat.

Ciscokidnmemphis

PS: Happy Holidays to all!!!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.