Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 6
Is it possible to convert a ROTH 401K to a ROTH IRA?

Yes, but I'd call it a rollover, not a conversion. It works just like a rollover from a traditional 401(k) to a traditional IRA.

While we're on the subject of Roth 401(k)'s, an oddity that affects people approaching their 70 1/2 year. Unlike Roth IRAs, Roth 401(k)'s have Required Minimum Distributions (RMD's). Since the 401(k) must distribute an RMD before completing a rollover it's important to move the account to a Roth IRA before January 1 of the year you turn 70 1/2 if you don't want the RMD to happen.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.