Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
Is it sustainable?

Opinions differ.
One view is that it will likely hold because they're motivated to hold it, and have more or less infinite access to capital indefinitely.
Or, as a very wild guess, at least 3/4 of it is sustainable, on the theory that the current dividend level is possibly not far from a cyclical floor on their earnings.
Would 6% be enough for you?

Long run I suspect the biggest argument against them probably isn't transport electrification or the demonisation of plastic.
Oil extraction and processing will be a smaller business in future, but the best run remaining participants can still be very profitable businesses.
Try designing and rolling out a vaccine, say, without any petrochemical inputs. Or an EV, for that matter.
But it is tough to be in a business where most of your competitors/adversaries are governments rather than rational economic agents.
Rabbits should not play among dancing elephants.

Note, I have a close to 100% failure rate (or at least "lack of success rate") on my investments in oil and gas, as well as high dividend payers.
So doing the reverse of my opinion would make good rational sense.

Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.