Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Is it the rule or the exception to add BV to DCF to calculate IV??

Phil,

Obviously I'm not Hewitt, but that's a really good question. I've seen debates rage all over about how to properly do a DCF calculation. For example, should growth capex be added back in to FCF (I believe it should only be added in during the terminal growth stage - it's probably not being spent, hence the no growth). Adding back book value is another item to ponder - if we're running DCF projections out as though the business will last forever, would we ever realize the gain from a liquidation that would make book value relevant? Therefore, should it be counted as part of the value?

It's all gets very theoretical. But I find it fascinating.

Paul
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.