Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Howdy folks .....

There seems to be quite some amazement at how high the trading range on the price of crude is settling in.

No doubt events in Venezuela, Nigeria and the Middle East are having some influence. However, stories persist that most members of OPEC are producing full out in order to maintain some normalcy in relations with the US and Europe.

I am considering in my mind the idea that perhaps Russia has supplanted OPEC as the new "swing producer". I have not read any theories on this anywhere and would appreciate a link if anyone has.

How could this be the case when Russia only produces 8mm boe /day for export?

Well, we know that Putin's gang is increasing its control of the petro-sector. We also know that Russia is awash in foreign currency. Whereas, in the west, this leads to demands to demands for 'social spending' and stripping of OilCo profits in Russia the government apparently does not need to respond to such pressures to stay in power.

So, if I was Vlad Putin, would I sooner sell 7mm bbl @ $ 70 or 8mm bbl @ $ 60?

Comments welcome,
wayne

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.