Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Is that right? I've taken several qualified distributions from my Roth account in recent years, but I don't think I ever reported them.

Check your tax returns to see if a form 8606 was filed. You should be getting a 1099-R each year for your Roth distributions, which should prompt you, when doing your taxes, to put the information into your tax software. Hopefully, it's that you don't realize you've reported the distributions, rather than that you haven't reported it.

Hope I'm not in trouble!

Well, if you haven't reported the distributions, you probably would have gotten a letter from the IRS asking about them by now, since the IRS gets copies of both the 1099-R and the 5498 each year. If you do find out you haven't reported the distributions, you should file an amended return with the 8606 for each year.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.