Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
is there a minimum amount of time you must sell and then be out of a stock before buying it back in order for the IRS to allow you to report it as a (short term) capital loss on schedule D ?

If you buy the same stock within 30 days before or after a sale for a loss, you cannot recognize the loss, but have to add it to your basis of the "replacement" stock.

* I sold and rebought 4 positions last Dec to generate sell records showing some losses for the year, can I use them ?

Probably not. "Paper" losses are the reason the wash sale rule exists. See Publication 550.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.